Rhadi, Traci, and Rufus Ferguson

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Back At The Olympic Training Center, But This Time For Fun :-)

===============
Introduction
===============

Traveling is hectic, but traveling with my wife is fun.

We just had a spectacular time this past weekend as we traveled to Colorado Springs, CO to celebrate the birthday of one of our friends, Cara Heads.

Cara just turned the big 3-0. And we thought that we'd surprise her and shoot down there and take her out for her birthday. It was cool.

We left Boca on Friday and then came back on Sunday.

==============
The OlympicTraining
Center
==============

Before going to the Olympic Training Center in the morning, I had to get up and do my 5 mile run because I'm still training for my Marathon in January. I truly forget about the high altitude in Colorado Springs, CO and I damn near killed myself as I ran the same pace that I run when I'm on sea level. I'm not blazing or anything like that, I'm doing an 11:00 minute per mile pace, but for a dude who is not a distance runner and 220 pounds, that's moving. :-)

Traci stayed in the room and did the usual workout that she does at home and then we both went to the OTC to meet Cara for breakfast.

It was weird driving back into the OTC again. I told Traci that my life has really changed since I lived here, with the major change being our son, Rufus. I remember the days when I used to eat, sleep and drink, Judo. Now I eat, sleep and drink, Rufus and Traci and my coaching business.
We had breakfast which was quite good then I met several people who were there when I used to live there and then I met a young lady who is one of my favorite Track and Field athletes at this time, Olympic Gold Medalist and 400 meter runner DeeDee Trotter.

Traci and I both saw her as she was running down the Olympic Path at the training center and we both had to agree that she moved like a gazelle. Every stride was completely effortless. She looked like poetry in motion.

Traci and I met her in the weight room and we took some pictures. She was super cool.

I also ran into my main man C.C. Fisher who is back on the wrestling mat at the OTC after doing a stint of collegiate coaching.

==================
And We're Off
==================
After hanging out in the weight room and watching Cara lift, we all hopped into the car and went to the Rodizio Grill in Denver, Colorado. Its a brazilian steakhouse which was
good and then we all went to see an IMAX movie.



If you've never watched an IMAX movie on the big screen, it's something that you've just gotta do. It was my first time and it was a phenomenal experience.

Then we went to Sushi Den in Denver. The sushi was okay, but not spectacular. Traci and I had to agree that the sushi from our favorite place in Boca, Sushi Yama, was better. And it definitely is not better than the Sushi at Kyoto in Delray Beach. But it was good.


==================
The Accident
==================

I almost ruined the evening because after I dropped Traci and Cara off at the front of the restaurant, I went to park the car and when I was rounding the corner, the back tire clipped the curb and went flat.

I was pissed and had to wait for AAA to come and fix the tire. After that the evening was cool. We were supposed to go and ride go karts later but that kind of ruined the whole time table.
It was a fun weekend. I'm glad that we got to hang out. Both Traci and I agreed that we need to get out and see our friends more. Cara's been to Florida, our friend Kay has been here but we haven't visited anyone.

Next up, we gotta go see our friend G. Stewart and Keita Rone.

===============
Something ToThink On
===============

Go and spend some time with your friends and loved ones. Its such a shame that we really don't see the people we care about until a calamity occurs or a wedding. The great thing about going to Howard University, is at least once a year during Homecoming, you can see a lot of your friends, but under normal circumstances, you just don't get to see your really close friends and loved ones. Go see them. It will do your heart and theirs some good.

Oh, and don't stay long. It's better to leave with people wishing you could stay longer, than having them wish you would go :-)


===============
Closing
===============

Coming Soon! Howard University Homecoming. This will be Rufus' first homecoming. We took him last year but it was too cold for him to be outside. Hopefully, weather permitting, he'll be able to hang! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home