Rhadi, Traci, and Rufus Ferguson

Monday, July 16, 2007

Summer's almost over!

With the summer days winding down, most of us will be hitting the stores buying back-to-school supplies and gear….getting ready for another school year. But for me, I won’t be hitting the stores. Instead, I’ll be hitting internet sites, searching and researching for enrichment programs for little Rufus for the upcoming year. I realize he’s only 15 months but it’s never to early to start learning…to bring some structure to his daily schedule.

Most kids start kindergarten at age 5 but by age 5 many great composers and musicians were already beginning to study their life’s craft…learning to play instruments from the piano to the drums long before they could’ve started school. I tagged along with my older sister when she started kindergarten and actually went to school with her when I was only 2 years old.

By the time I was “ready” to start kindergarten I already had over 2 years of school under my belt. I want Rufus to experience a little of what I did growing up…always reading, always imagining and always creating. My older sister and I were sooo creative that we actually turned my uncle’s old pig pen into a playhouse! The pigs were long gone but the pen still remained. I know Rufus won’t be playing in any pig pens or going on any scavenger hunts in the woods in the near future but I want him to use his imagination and creativity to pretend like he lives in the country.

Whether it’s reading stories, using his imagination or creating projects or music…we want to give Rufus the opportunity to explore. And for those of you that don’t know, I love to listen to all types of jazz, especially smooth jazz. I even played the clarinet in middle school and high school. I love to kick back on the couch after a long day at work and listen to some jazz on the music channel.

What I find so interesting is some of the classic composers and musicians that I love to listen to started playing their instrument, composed their first work or began singing young….usually between the ages of 3 and 6!

These golden years are usually lost in front of the television but not in the Ferguson house! Instead of spending time finding out what kids program is on TV, Rufus grabs one of his books for us to read to him. He loves for anyone to read to him and we want to keep him reading.

So tonight we’ll cuddle up with a good kids’ book to read before going to bed….and I’ll keep searching for the next learning opportunity.

Take care,
Traci, better known as Rufus’ mom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home