Rhadi, Traci, and Rufus Ferguson

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Pursuing a Ph. D is a MASSIVE task, but I'm not in it alone

============
A Brutal Beating
============


I've taken my fair share of beatings as a former football playerm wrester and martial artist. And I've dished out my fair share as well. But this Ph. D. business is a lopsided beating where my head is the only thing that is getting lopsided. It's definitely a "doable"task, but its a monumental one. You gotta hang in there and plug away at the doggone thing EVERYDAY.


===============
Not Alone
===============


Come to find out, I'm not alone in my quest. Some of my closest friends are all pursuing their Ph. D. right now too.

My best man from my wedding and frat brother, G. Stewart is pursuing his Ph. D. in Chemistry.

My son's godmother and my friend Keita Rone is pursuing her Ph. D. in Education.

My frat brother, friend and G's brother Maurice Hobson is pursuing his Ph. D. in African American Studies with and emphasis on modern day music and culture (his dissertation topic is super cool, I just can't remember what it is, but he has an interview with Andre 3000 in a couple of weeks). But just to let you know........ Maurice is "off the hook", his ish is tight!

These are some of the things that he's done so far.....


What Y’all Really Know About the Dirty South: Working Towards A Black Southern
Aesthetic in Hip Hop.” Southern Conference on African American Studies, San Antonio, Texas,
February 21-23, 2002.

“Bad Language, Bad Attitudes, Benevolent Notions: Hip Hop Summit 2002.”
“Stereotypes Within Hip Hop: Ballers Gangstas, Shot Callers.” University of Alabama.
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, February 28, 2002.


• Panelist for the African American Association, University of Alabama. “Understanding
Black Male Images and Black Brotherhood in the American Experience.” April 11, 2001.

• Panelist: “Black Manhood, Brotherhood, and Familyhood.” University of Alabama
African American Association Black History Month 2002 Forum (February 2002).


• “Hip-hop’s Role in African American History,” University of Alabama History
Department, Tuscaloosa; April 24, 2001.


• “Rap-Music and African Oral Traditions.” African American Oral History, Stillman
College, Tuscaloosa; November 14, 2001.


• “When I Ruled the World: The World’s Greatest Men and Women of Color.” Historical
Presentation for African American History Month. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated,
Lambda Zeta Chapter, 2002.

• “African American Folklore Within Hip Hop Culture.” Cultural Presentation for
Tuscaloosa City Schools, 2002.


My friend Alexandria Jones, who double majored at Howard University and then went on to get her Masters from Berkeley is finishing up her Doctorate at Berkeley right now in Archaeology. She is a little firecracker and funny as can be (and smart beyond her years).

Another one of my friends, Gena Woodruff, is pursuing her Ph. D. at Georgia Tech. She also went to Howard. She, my wife and I all attended the same high school. They were the two brainy kids. Both of them graduated Phi Beta Kappa. Gena is also 5 months pregnant and expecting her first baby!!! Traci and I are super excited for her (we hope she has a girl) :-)

===============
Looking To Jump

Over the Chasm
===============


Some of the people on the aforementioned list will jump over the chasm before I do and some after me. I can't wait until we are all on the other side so we can sit down and break bread and laugh at all of the mess that we've been through. Not many understand the Ph. D. haze. It's brutal, but its fair.

Take care.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home