Rhadi, Traci, and Rufus Ferguson

Monday, October 27, 2008

Howard University Homecoming 2008










For those of you that don't know.... I attended Howard University TWICE!
From 1992-1997 and then I returned from 2000-2002 to complete my Masters Degree. I absolutely love Howard University and cherish my Howard Experience.

The great thing about Howard University is that you don't necessarily have to attend Howard University in order to have a "Howard Experience". My wife, Traci Ferguson, was a matriculant Georgetown University, but she had some great Howard Experiences. So much so that during Howard University Homecoming people ask her when she went to Howard. The crazy thing is that she never went to Howard, she just spent a good deal of time at Howard.

I try to bring people to Howard University's Homecoming every year. Some people come, some don't. This year I wanted my friend, former client and 2004 Olympic Teammate Taraje Williams-Murray to come to Homecoming this year.

Taraje could never understand why I made such a big deal about Howard's Homecoming. During one year when he was competing at the United States Judo Open, Howard's Homecoming fell on that same weekend. He asked me if I was going to the US Open. I replied, "Nope, I'm going to Homecoming." It wasn't until Homecoming weekend this year that he told me how pissed off he was about that but admitted that he could understand why I didn't attend.

As a matter of fact, I've place in a couple of US Open's but I only won one US Open. And I can pretty much tell you why. I was soooo pissed off because in 2001, the US Open fell on the the same weekend as Howard University's Homecoming!! I can remember packing my bags and telling myself that everybody was going to pay for me missing my Homecoming celebration. I went to that tournament and lawnmowered through the competition.

Well, that was then.....

After convincing Taraje to come to Homecoming, my wife and I got his train ticket to come in town so that he could attend. We felt that this experience is one that every young African American should have at one time in their life and that it was our duty to make sure that Taraje could attend and be comfortable.

Taraje was really worried because he didn't have any money and he didn't understand how things work. I told Taraje that he would have the time of his life and not have to spend one dime. It took some convincing but he finally believed me.

We started off the week on Wednesday by doing a clinic in Fredricksburg, Virginia at Sensei Chuck Wall's school. Then we went to the Marine Base in Quantico, Virginia all day Thursday which was a great experience where we were able to share some of our experiences and also able to get a better understanding of the life of a soldier in the Marines.

Thursday night we partied like rock stars. It was a good time with good friends and good people. We laughed all night long and ended up at the International House of Pancakes and dove into some egg white omelettes around 6am. Taraje and I got back to my parents house around 8:00am and we had to be up at 10:00 to get to "the yard" at Howard for Yardfest before 11:30.

The schedule was ridiculous. We had to sleep for less than 3 hours during the whole time.

On Friday, my wife came in town and she and I hit the alumni party and we two-stepped the night away. I sent Taraje with some of my younger and more energetic fraternity brothers so that he could have the twenty-something experience, which I am NO LONGER INTERESTED IN. Taraje had the time of his life.

I heard him say on SEVERAL occasions that he had never seen this many beautiful and successful African American females all in one place. He said that the experience was eye-opening and jaw dropping. If nothing else he mentioned that this should make all young black men really strive for excellence in life and academically. He said, seeing all of these affluent black folks really lets me know that there is hope. I guess sometimes its easier to "be it" if you can "see it."

With that being said, I also wanted to let Taraje know what was and is available out there. Many people settle for a mate or a companion because they don't think that what they are looking for is available. But the problem is that they are searching for bass in a pond stocked with catfish. If you want bass, then you need to take your @ss where there are BASS!! :-) Ya dig?

So, Friday night was good for the wife and I and it was great for Taraje (from what I heard). After a long night I had to leave the house and scoop Taraje from DC, he was having breakfast with one of my frat brothers and then we arrived at Howard University bright and early at 8am to prepare for the Homecoming Parade (as you can see, we got absolutely NO SLEEP, but it was all good.)

On Saturday, Taraje and I had the opportunity to serve as Marshals in the Homecoming Parade. This was my 4th Homecoming Parade as a Marshal and I love it each and every time. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it again but I absolutely love seeing the smiles on the faces of the children and being an ambassador for my school, Howard University.

Sidebar: I have to give a biggup to Keith Miles in the Office of the Provost at Howard University for making each Howard University Parade better and better each and every year.

Okay, now back to the story.... Saturday was cool I got the chance to reconnect with 2008 Olympic Bronze Medalist David Oliver who is also a Howard Alum and was in school at Howard when I made the Olympic Team in 2004 and I met Lance Gross who was also running track at Howard with David when I made the team. I remember Lance being in all of the fashion shows at Howard. Now he is on the hit television show Tyler Perry's "House of Payne".

We also had the conversation of a lifetime with Terrence Howard on the topic of persevering and why quitting is not an option as an African American male based upon the fact that there are millions of people behind you who you may or may not be able to see who are COUNTING on you to be excellent in your endeavors so that they may have an opportunity. It was thought provoking, engaging and genuine. He didn't rush, he just took his time and talked to Taraje and I about life. It was awe-inspiring.

What else happened?

- Well of course P. Diddy was there again.

- I did an interview with ESPN and Howard University Television

- Taraje's who worldview was change in 72 hours

- Lord willing, I will be back next year.

Howard University Homecoming 2008. If you don't know, now you know. (please understand that this is the G rated version)

Also check out http://www.Taraje.com

Take care,

Rhadi Ferguson
2004 Olympian
4-Time National Judo Champion

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home