Rhadi, Traci, and Rufus Ferguson

Friday, December 07, 2007

My Wife Is The Greatest

================
I Know I'm Biased
But I Truly Believe.....
================

I know I'm biased but I truly believe that I have the greatest wife and friend in the world in my, road dog, my partner, my ace, my sweetheart, my wife... Traci.

I was just looking through our home camera and I didn't even notice all of the pictures that she took during the marathon that I ran in November. She took some great shots and as I sit on the airplane heading out of town, all I can think about are my wife and my son.

I've had the opportunity to talk to many of my friends and family members and I can tell you right now that I KNOW how blessed I am to have a wife who allows me to be me, who doesn't stress me and who knows how to provoke me to be a better father and husband and inspires me to do more and be more. I can't tell you how much fun that I had yesterday with my wife. And you'll never guess what we did.

We were in the garage and the driveway cleaning out the cars in order to prepare them to get detailed at the carwash. It was fun, not because there's anything so super exciting about a car wash or cleaning out the car, but it was just fun to be together during the day. There aren't many people who get to spend a day or two at home during the week witih their spouse in the florida sun and also hang out with their children.

It was a blessing.

I can't even begin to tell you how sweet it is to go to the park with Traci and Rufus and to see the look on my wife's face when I'm playing with my son and making him laugh. It's look of approval, not that I need it but its a look that I will keep at the forefront of my mind at all times. Before children, you're always looking forward to that "come hither" look, but as parents, you just feel so good to get a look of approval and not disdain from your spouse.

I told Traci the other day that I was just so impressed with her "stepping it up in the mommy" category. After my parents came to visit one time, they told us how we needed to "step it up" in the parenting cctegory. Now, mind you, we were already doing "the do", but my parents are of the "to whom much is given, much is required" belief system and they speak on Rufus' behalf because he can't speak for himself and they just told us that we need to do "more".

And the advice was welcomed, hard at first but welcomed and I can tell you this - the advice has turned my home into a place of ultimate love and comfort.

If there is any advice that I can give anyone reading this blog, it's this. DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO FOR YOUR SPOUSE AND YOUR CHILDREN to make them happy. My dad used to always tell me, "its not about you" and I'd fight that dude "tooth and nail" and tell him, "it is about me." Well, I was right and so was he. It's not about me, but if I want it to be about me, I have to first make sure "its about my wife and son first."

Yesterday, after we finished cleaning the cars and we were home with Rufus, my wife said, "Your dad would be so proud of you now honey." I smiled, but on the inside I felt like I wanted to cry (for no apparent reason at all), but instead I smile and laughed and said, "Why, because I got the cars cleaned?"(just so that you all know, my dad is a stickler for making sure the car is clean and the tires are shiny at all times). My wife laughed too, I know that's not really what she meant, but I didn't want to make the mood too heavy. :-)



I know I'm all over the place right now, but I just want to tell those of you who are reading this, that although life is a big "if-then" statement, relationships don't necessarily work like that. I was counseling a couple a little while ago and the wife has really packed on some pounds and her reasoning for not wanting to lose the weight was because she was waiting for her husband to work on some areas first.

Well, in relationships, sometimes you have to just give, and give and give, without the hopes of getting something in return. I think that's really when you understand the "joy" in giving and really the depth of your love for your partner. Because if your parnter was (God forbid) in a situation where they couldn't do from themselvees, you would still have to do things for them with no recompense at all.

You would just have to have the knowledge and comfort in knowing that you did the right thing. This is no different. (This is my personal blog, so I'm gonna speak freely here).

Biblically speaking, "the Lord loves a cheerful giver" and I truly believe that if you continue to give and "love" your partner into the dirt, they will respond as you wish, but you cannot do so with the expectation of anything nor with a time frame on your giving. I know, it's tough, but that's just the way some things are, ESPECIALLY marriage. That's why the preface it with saying that this isn't something that should be entered into lightly.


The greatest gift that my parents have given me is in staying together through all the ups and downs in their marriage. It has actually provided me with an opprotunity to go to "marriage school". And their advice is well received because I know it is backed with experience and wisdom. And if there's anything that I can share with you about my family on my family's blog, it's this - POUR.

POUR into the lives of others until you don't have anything left and then watch how you are able to get refilled so that you can pour some more and then watch how your personal vessel increases in volume so that you can not only pour some more but so that you have a reserve for yourself.

You will find out that the more you pour, the more you'll have.

Believe me.

It's not about you.

As I began to give, I find out that I received more.

Not only on a family level but also on a business level.

Start giving and sit back and watch God work miracles in your life. I'm not preaching to you I'm just telling you about my family and my life.

===============
Check This Out
===============

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure last year this time and have completed a half marathon and a marathon this year. My blood pressure is down and the ejection fraction of my heart has increased and is in the normal range.

I got out of a bad business releationship last year and this year I'm blessed to have my life turn-$$$-aroud in 12 months. :-)

My wife is one of the most sought after physicians in the country and has been able to sit back and select the best job offer that was offered to her.

I truly belive that "The Secret" is a good book and DVD, but it doesn't trump sagacity and wisdom provided in the Bible.

I'm not saying that to convert anyone, I'll be the first one to tell you that I have a Torah, Book of Mormon, The Egyptian Book of the Dead, and Holy Quran in my home.

And I'm an avid reader of Plato, Aristotle and Socrates as well as the great African philosophers and those who've contributed from the Nile Valley Civilizations and Kemet. I believe in the acquiring of knowledge and then applying it, but the Bible is the best book I've ever read (that's my personal opinion).

I know I got a lil' off topic......

So, back to my point. My wife, is the greatest and I'm so appreciative of all that she does and allows me to do.

She's truly a God-send.

===================
My Main Man Rufus
===================

Complete and utter comedy on a daily basis is the best way to describe my son. Just wait for my next post when I show you what he did just recently.

=========
Traveling
=========


Yep, I have a United States Olympic Committee Meeting in December.


In January I'm on some panel at an NCAA meeting to speak about entrepreneurship after a sporting career, and then I'm also vback in San Fran to present on a bill with UFC Fighter Dan Henderson, then I have another meeting in Vega. So, I'll be quite busy and I'll have to make a trip or two to New York to see my client in preparation for the Olympic Trials.

============
Closing
============

That's about it. Everything is super cool on this end.

I hope that some of that information was helpful.

Please feel free to stop by http://www.rhadi.com/ and pick up my FREE DVD Working Out With Rhadi or just go to ( http://www.thebodyweightworkout.com/ )

================
Ooops, I almost forgot
================

Here are the pics from the Marathon on the 25th.























Take care.

1 Comments:

  • Rhadi -
    Your son gets better-looking every day. Thank God he got his looks from your wife (-:

    You are so right about the demands of parenting and good for your parents. I get SO incensed by people who believe in "low maintenance" parenting, just putting their child in front of the TV or buying him a video game or calling over their shoulder "Is your homework done?" and thinking they did their job.

    That is one of the benefits I have learned judo has for my youngest daughter. On the drive to practice at the training center or to tournaments, we just spend time talking about things she is learning in school or whatever she is wondering about. Her vocabulary gets bigger, as she is ALWAYS asking questions, "I heard you say to Ronda that something was 'at your discretion'. What is a discretion?"

    You are right, it is not just quality time, it is great gobs of QUANTITY time our kids need, too.

    By Blogger Dr. AnnMaria, At 12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home