Rhadi, Traci, and Rufus Ferguson

Monday, March 24, 2008

Did you do something outstanding today?

=============
Introduction
=============

I had an opportunity to listen to Obama's speech on race yesterday and I'd like to tell you this.

I'm not here to talk about race, about politics, about Obama, Hillary, Rev. Wright or anything else, what I do want to tell you is how it made me feel.

His speech made me feel like:
  1. I have to do more as a parent to ensure that my son understands that every human being no matter of race, color or creed needs to be loved and respected. My wife and I do that now, but more often than not many of us live and conduct most of our daily experiences in a homogenous society and it is important to get more perspective about the global community.
  2. I need to travel more with my family. I've had the opportunity to see a great deal of the world as a world class athlete, so my view of things isn't myopic, it is truly global. I need to travel with my wife and son so that we can all experience all that the world has to offer. I was reading the book 4-hour Work Week, by Tim Ferris and he mentioned the importance of such an education.
  3. I need to volunteer more. I've been volunteering, especially in my church and doing fr-ee teleseminars, but I see that I need to do more. Its my job to lift as I climb. People's prejudices can only be changed via a new perspective and positive experience. I truly have to be the change that I would like to see in the world.
  4. I must embody the quote of Mother Theresa when she said something along the lines that the important thing is that when people leave your presence that they leave being better than when they came.
I just thought I'd share those things. As I said before, this isn't a pro-this guy or pro-that gal type of email. This is a "we're all in this thing together" email.

And I just wanted to let you know that hatred is for Chumps, racism is for Chumps and the real winners in life aren't the ones wearing medals around their neck but the ones making a difference in the lives of others everyday.

============
Closing
============

This is why I do what I do and this is why I'm writing to you.

Today, make someone's day better than it was yesterday.

Take care.

Much love and respect,

Rhadi Ferguson
2004 Olympian
http://www.ChumpRepellent.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home