Rhadi, Traci, and Rufus Ferguson

Monday, March 24, 2008

Here's something you just can't schedule

=============
Introduction
=============

I was on a coaching call on Saturday morning when another call came through on my cell phone. It was the third time that this call had come through and I figured it was important, so I answered.

I said, "Cuz, be quick, I'm on a coaching call."

He said, "Bro. you need to get down here. Uncle Jimmy died this morning at 3am."

I said, "Stop lying."

He said, "No man, I'm serious."

Well, there I was on the call with 17 more minutes to go. After the call, I got dressed, told my wife to get Rufus ready and when I said that she said, "We're already ready."

Traci had Rufus, dressed and ready to go and they were sitting in the living room, waiting on me.

So we hopped in the car and drove down to Miami.... This is where my story begins.

====================
One 1/2 Marathon a Month
====================

At the begining of the year, I was so motivated after reading The Ultramarathon Man that I pledged to do a 1/2 marathon a month. Well, as the Lord would have it, my uncle's funeral is this weekend - the same exact weekend where I was supposed to be in Atlanta to do the Atlanta ING 1/2 Marathon.

My aunt who I've help go from 234 lbs. to now, 205lbs. was supposed to do her first 1/2 this weekend and my mother was too.

But now we all have hit a major roadblock.

I really didn't know what to do. My father was supposed to do his 2nd 1/2, my aunt and mother were supposed to do their first, and I was supposed to do my 1/2 for the month.

So we had to make an adjustment.

Here's what I proposed....

==================
We'll do the 1/2 anyway
We'll just do it in Boca
==================

Even though the race won't be official, we are still going to do that 1/2 marathon this weekend.
We're going to do it on Sunday and we're all going to do it together. That's right. We're going to all "stick to our guns" and still do the 1/2 marathon.

The lesson here is to understand that life happens and sometimes things are the way that you want them to be, but that doesn't mean that they aren't the way that they are supposed to be.

I really had to look at the most important thing about doing the 1/2 marathon.

Was is really about going to Atlanta? or Was is about helping my mother and aunt complete a great accomplishments in their lives while watching my father continue on his quest for better health?
(by the way, my father is 239 pounds and down from 258! - WAY TO GO POP!!)

The key, without a doubt was for the whole family to be together. With that being said, I had to come to the realization that the most important thing was for all of us to be together.

So, on Sunday... my mom, my aunt Faustina, my wife, my dad and myself will perform 13.1 miles and complete a non-official, but official 1/2 marathon and we will capture it on video and share it with you next week.

==================
What's new with Rhadi?
==================

- This morning I just had a meeting with Former World Boxing Champion Jermaine Taylor's personal chef. He will begin cooking my meals so that I can test out his services when some of my clients come down to Florida to train. I also will utilize him as I prepare for the 31 mile race (Ultramarathon) on the 18th of May. His name is Stu and he's a HUGE Mixed Martial Arts fan and really loved to sit down and talk MMA and how he can help some of my clients in the future.

  • I'm also in the process of developing a new piece of training equipment for Judo and Brazilian Jiujitsu players that is going to be absolutely dynamite. I'm doing this in conjunction with some heavy hitters in grappling and judo marketplace.
  • Also Jimmy Pedro, 4-Time Olympian and 1999 World Judo Champion is getting ready to release his newly improved DVD package Grip Like A World Champion DVD next month in April. It is absolutely superb!
=========
Closing
=========

This weekend is going to be a happy one and a sad one. My aunt Alice and my Uncle Jimmy were together for 57 years. I can remember on several occasions sitting down with Uncle Jimmy and my cousins and laughing on Sundays after church. It felt weird this past weekend being at the house without him there. The funeral is going to be gut wrenching. But on the same token, I will be able to see my family and many loved ones that I haven't seen in a while and I'll be able to see my parents again as they spend time with their grandson. So with a smile on my face and a heavy heart I can admit that the experience is going to be, at its best - bittersweet.

The one thing that I know is this..... the food is plentiful and its good, but with that - so must the exercise.

So this morning I got my butt up and did 45 minutes of cardio, met with the chef, then I stretched and did 10 sets of 20 repetitions of reclined rope pulls.

The key is to make sure you get it in. There's nothing wrong with eating, but there is something wrong with not exercising.

Make sure you "get it in" --> http://www.TheTotalBodyWorkout.com

Take care,

Rhadi Ferguson
2004 Olympian

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home