Rhadi, Traci, and Rufus Ferguson

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My Dad Finished His First Half Marathon

==============
Introduction
==============


I am pleased to announce that on Jan. 27, 2008 my father completed his first half marathon!

He walked the whole way and my wife and I walked with him. I was superimpressed. And not with his time either, but with his resolve.

For those of you who do not know, my father had a medical conditionlast year which brought him face to face with his own mortality. I saw this as an opportunity to step in and do what it is that I do. I actually had to coach my father through the 1/2 marathon trainingprocess. What was so crazy was that 2 years ago my father would havenever even thought about nor considered completed or even doing a 1/2 marathon.

Now my father has on his mind that he is going to complete at least 3 in 2008. He has also lost 15 pounds right away and has a newfound vigor for life. My wife also completed her 1/2 marathon on the 27th as well.





=================
The Moment Of Clarity
From My Coach
=================


For those of you who don't know, I completed my first 1/2 marathonand full marathon in November of 2007 and my marathon coach Winston Williams helped me along the way.

So I also ask him to coach my father in his journey. As usualhe provided some great advice but his best advice was for me when he asked me, "So what are your plans for the race?"
Although I'm coming off of a pulled groined, the athlete in me said, "I'm going to coolout and run 2 hours and30 minutes or something like that."

Coach Williams replied, "Rhadi, I think that you're missingout on a major opportunity here. Knowing what you know about your father's situation and where he came from to where he is now, my recommendation is that you walkwith your father every step of the way. You will be glad that you did. It will be a lasting moment that you will be able to cherish for a lifetime."
I told him that was an excellent piece of advice.

I can't tell you how good it felt to run across the finish line with my father, my wife, my cousin and I joining hands. It was wonderful. My father cried, my cousin cried and my wife and I had huge smiles across our faces.

===============
You Have A Job To Do
===============


Right now I'm coaching one of my family members to better health and she has also los-t some weight.

She has lost 12 pounds in 3 weeks and is now in the process of getting ready to start training to complete her first 1/2 marathon in 12 weeks.

I'm really looking forward to helping my family membersget healthy. If you are a fitness professionl - YOU MUST find a way to get your family members to lead healthy lives.

If you are the leader in your home, YOU MUST find a way to get the people in your home to live and lead healthier lives. If you are not in the shape that you want to be -YOU MUST find a way to get yourself in better shape.

You have a job to do. Your job is similar to the advice that they provide you on the airplane before "take-off". The stewartess says, "In thecase of a loss of oxygen, secure the mask overyourself first and then help your child."

Well, this is the same thing. You must getyourself in shape first and then help yourfamily. If you do this, your loved ones willbe around longer and they will be a lot stronger.

==============
Conclusion
==============

I was so proud of my father, my wife and my cousinthis weekend. My wife has already signed up to do another 1/2 marathon with me in February. It was and is my desire to do a 1/2 marathon a month in 2008 and through that investment, I am able to invest in the lives of others. I understand that I must securethe mask over myself first and then I'll be able to help others.

If you would like some help working outat home and getting in some great shapeyou can do so by going here

--> http://www.thebodyweightworkout.com/ <--

If you are interested in completing a 1/2 marathon or want for one of your family members to do so, please go here

--> http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/walk.htm <--

But remember, strength training is still necessary. And you must get that in too.

--> http://www.thebodyweightworkout.com/ <--

So take care and I wish you the best.

Take care, Rhadi Ferguson (aka "The Strength and Conditioning King")http://www.thestrengthandconditioningking.com/
http://www.askrhadi.com/
http://www.rhadi.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home