Rhadi, Traci, and Rufus Ferguson

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Tuesday Rant: “He Doesn’t Belong To Us Anymore”

=====================
Today’s Transmission was
brought to you by Dr.Ferguson
private coaching seminar in May
www.RhadiFerguson.com/blog/private-coaching
========================

Greetings:

I was watching a documentary on Showtime yesterday about Nelson Mandela and there was a point in the documentary where his sister was speaking. She was a dark-skinned woman but not of the dark chocolate persuasion. She was more of a rich cocoa complexion and her eyes were deeply set in her face as if they had been placed in such a position by time. Her orbital and cheek bones were very prominent, yet she did not look as if she had not eaten. If I could describe her face with one word, it would be WISDOM. She just looked wise and the lines on her face look as if they could lead you to a place of enlightenment. I took all of this in. And I listened. I couldn’t understand a word that she said but I knew it was important and poignant, so I watched her first. And then, I rewound the video and read the subtitles as she spoke about her brother. She said, and I’m paraphrasing here because I don’t remember what she said, word for word…

She said: We had to recognize that he didn’t belong to us, he belonged to the people. So we understood when he could no longer write as often, visit or call. He doesn’t belong to us anymore.

I watched her as she said this and as a matter of fact I rewound the video SEVERAL times and watched it from varying perceptive angles. I looked at it as if I believed that she was sad, I watched it as if I believed she was happy, I viewed it as if I believed she were proud, I observed it as if the relationship was damaged but she didn’t want to say so.

I watched it and I watched it. I watched it like I break down film on opponents. And here’s what I got from it.

I HAD TO STOP READING THE SUBTITLES AND LISTENING TO HER VOICE. I turned the sound off, I muted the television and I watched her eyes with the focus of an eagle on a field mouse. And that is when I got it. I heard her without listening but through the listening.

All she was saying was, or what I read was, “he left here a long time ago and hasn’t looked back.”

=============
Here’s The Rough
Part
==============

I don’t care what it is that you choose to do. If you choose to do it at a SEVERELY high level, some people close to you are going to disagree and many are going to get hurt. And it is up to you to decide if you can sleep at night with what you gain, and with what you lose. Because you WILL lose some things and some people.

The game of life allows for you to win and it allows for you to lose and sometimes you drink from these sweet and bitter cups simultaneously.

Case in point, there’s no way for Michael Jordan to play 80 games a year, year in and year out, at a high level, and train and practice, and also be in the backyard throwing the baseball with his son on a regular basis. Not possible. There was a time when Mike had to understand that he belonged to the people and not just to his family. And WE expected Michael to belong to us.

My life, although not Michael Jordan-esque, is VERY similar to yours. I make some VERY radical decisions which allows me to achieve some fantastic things, see and meet some amazing people, to live a life very different than anything that I had imagined as a youth, but it comes with a price. Good Lord, does it ever!

And it’s one that I’m happy to pay because ordinary doesn’t work for me. Nor does listening to people on the phone offer criticism whom I believe lack respect and integrity and understanding for what I do. I’d rather grab them by the back of the neck and ram their head into a concrete slab and knock out their two front teeth in order to provide them with some personal improvement tasks to complete as a favor to them, than to listen to them tell me about some things which they can’t, could not, or are too afraid to do.

I like Mike, but I don’t wanna be like Mike.

I dig Nelson Mandela, but I’m not sure I want Nelson’s problems either.

I am having a tough enough time walking in Rhadi Ferguson’s shoes and creating a path as I go.

Today as you read this I want to let you know this:

In January of 2011 I spoke with the Stanford University Cardinals in Miami before their Orange Bowl Game. I then hopped on a plane and went to Nashville, Tennessee where I trained for a few days, dropped 20 pounds, weighed-in and then fought on Showtime for Strikeforce. The next morning, face swollen and all, I hopped on an early morning flight to attend a Marketing and Business seminar held by Lloyd Irvin in Washington, DC, then I returned to Tampa, where my wife was out of town. Oh, I forgot to mention that in January I was living in Boca Raton, Florida at our other home training. Then my wife returned home and I left to begin a 13 city speaking tour with LuBear Corporation and the US Navy SEALs. After the first leg of the tour, I returned to Tampa and then drove to Boca Raton for my daughters 1 year old birthday celebration. I stayed in Boca, the family left for Tampa the following morning and I flew back out for my speaking tour.

And while all this is going on, I’m sure you all recognize the constant barrage of emails, blog posts, tweets, etc.,. And I just finished my first scholarly journal article which will be published in May and I did an interview with Black Enterprise Magazine which will be out in May as well.

Soooooooo. When I am home, I try my best to really spend a lot of time with my wife and kids, but I do also understand this. I get hundreds of emails, a couple of thank you notes in the mail and a lot of text messages from people thanking me for what it is that I do and I am appreciative. And I recognize that, I do belong to you and have taken the responsibility that comes with that.

About 10 years ago I recognized that I wanted to teach, coach, lecture and help people. And that’s it what I do. And that arm of help extends to, not only my family, but to everyone that is willing to accept it. And that means that I do things which in MY BUSINESS are incorrect, like Coffee With Rhadi.
My “Coffee With Rhadi” segments should be a paid for monthly or weekly service or expanded into an audio product, but that its not what I’m called to do. That is my way of tithing and Thanking God for the position and placement which I have and am afforded. Giving it required.

Not BOGUS giving.

Not giving because you bought something (don’t get me started on that), but giving JUST TO GIVE! And I do my best with that. And does it drive business? Yes. Is that the sole purpose? No. Because, truth be told more people just watch and comment, than watch and buy. And that’s okay. If somebody had a better moment, a better day or a better week due to something that was provided to them through one of my videos, then my mission was accomplished.

=================
Rhadi Ferguson on
Money
=================

First, let me say this. I don’t know one person who has ever been washing clothes and has reached down into the pocket of a pair of pants and found $5 dollars or a nice dub ($20) and got upset. So we can agree that having money CAN make you happy. Just like not having it CAN make you sad.

I will say this. I love having money and I hated not having it, but I DON’T LOVE MONEY. Money IS NOT the root to all evil. THE LOVE OF MONEY is the root to all evil. I don’t love money. But I do understand also that money answers everything (this is scripture, look it up, don’t hate the messenger). And there are many times in my life when I have said or had to say, “I can’t afford that right now” or “We can’t afford that right now” and I am doing my damnest to run that phrase into the realm of obsolescence.

I don’t run schemes or scams. I get paid from the work I’ve done or am doing. And I DO EXPECT to get paid from the services that I provide based upon the years of expertise that I bring to the table to the tasks or services that I render. And that’s it.

That’s how I feel about money.

================
Wrap-up
================

I’m sure you’ll notice that today’s email is just a buffet of stuff that was on my mind. And you know what? That’s okay, because who else do I have to share this with, but you?

If you weren’t there to read, I wouldn’t be able to write. So, thanks for reading, thanks for caring and I will continue sharing.

=================
My Main Man Rufus
==================
My son, Rufus’s birthday is TODAY. He is 5 years old. It seems like yesterday when my wife popped him out. LOL

===================
Seminar At My Home In
May
====================

I’m sure you know that I’m having a private seminar at my home in Boca Raton, FL in May. It is going to be awesome and I’m sure you will love it. You will be able to get all of your questions answered about MMA, training, strength and conditioning, weight cutting, business, marketing, etc.,. I will cover the ins-and-outs of MMA preparation on and off the mat. The key is walking out of this private coaching experience with systems to put in place.

>>> http://www.rhadiferguson.com/blog/private-coaching <<<

=================
Closing
=================

Take care and have a super fantastic day.

Rhadi Ferguson, Ph.D., CSCS
2004 Olympian
4-Time National Judo Champion
http://www.CoachFerguson.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home